- Village Requirements for Residential Occupancies
- Block Party
- Burning Leaves & Trash
- Cooling & Warming Centers
- Garage Sales
- No Solicitation Policy
- Picking Up After Your Pet
- Waste Removal
For a list of Village requirements for residential occupancies, please visit our Requirements page.
Residents wishing to have a block party must apply for a special permit in the Building Department at the Village Hall. The permit is free but must be submitted to the Village Trustees for approval since traffic must be rerouted to accommodate your party. The Village will provide barricades on both ends of the block. Any questions call 343-4000, extension 128.
It is against Village of Melrose Park ordinances to burn any yard waste or trash anywhere in Melrose Park. You will be ticketed and fined if detected burning waste.
The Village of Melrose Park offers its residents warming or cooling centers. These centers may involve overnight stays depending on the extremity of the weather. Call 343-4000 or 345-4350 on days of extreme hot or cold weather to learn of the location of the nearest warming or cooling center.
For a copy of the ordinance with garage sales, please download here.
The term itinerant merchants shall mean and include any person, firm, co-partnership or corporation, whether designated as a peddler, hawker, itinerant, merchant or otherwise, who is engaged temporarily in the retail sale of goods, wares or merchandise in the village of Melrose Park and who, for the purpose of conducting such business, does not maintain in the village of Melrose Park an established office, store, distribution house, sales house, warehouse or service center. However, the ordinance does not apply to any person, firm, co-partnership or corporation operating a stand or booth at a state, county or village of Melrose Park fair or community event, which has been approved by the board of trustees of the village, this includes, without limitation, the Taste of Melrose Park, the Feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and Hispano Festival.
Except as hereinafter provided it shall be unlawful for any person, firm, co-partnership or corporation to engage temporarily in offering for sale, exposing for sale and retail sale of any and all goods, wares or merchandise in the village of Melrose Park, and who, for the purpose of conducting such business does not maintain in the village of Melrose Park an established office, store, distribution house, sales house, warehouse or service center. This prohibition specifically includes, but is not limited to, the temporary sale of goods, wares or merchandise from a temporary stand, cart, push-cart, automobile or any other vehicle. The ordinance, however, does not apply to the sale of magazines, books, newspapers, pamphlets or other written or printed matter which the village cannot, as a matter of law, prohibit the sale of. A fine of up to $500 may be issued for any violations.
No person shall harbor or keep any animal, which causes a nuisance by defecating or urinating upon any public street, sidewalk or any other public place or upon any premises not owned or occupied by the person owning or keeping such animal.
The owner of every animal within the village shall be responsible for the removal and sanitary disposal of that animal’s bodily waste product and excreta so as to maintain the owners’ premises and all and any other property in the village in a clean and sanitary condition. The owner, attendant or other person in charge of any animal outside the premises to which the animal is licensed shall have on his person a suitable and appropriate means for removal and sanitary disposal of that animal’s body waste product and excreta. A fine of up to $750 may be issued for any violations.
Please be advised on the following rubbish and garbage, and exterior structure general requirements:
- Accumulation of Rubbish or GarbageAll exterior property and premises, and the interior of every structure, shall be free from any accumulation of rubbish or garbage.
- Disposal of RubbishEvery occupant of a structure shall dispose of all rubbish in a clean and sanitary manner by placing such rubbish in approved containers.
- Rubbish Storage FacilitiesThe owner of every occupied premises shall supply approved covered containers for rubbish and the owner of the premises shall be responsible for the removal of rubbish.
- RefrigeratorsRefrigerators and similar equipment not in operation shall not be discarded, abandoned or stored on premises without first removing the doors.
- Disposal of GarbageEvery occupant of a structure shall dispose of garbage in a clean and sanitary manner by placing such garbage in an approved garbage disposal facility or approved garbage containers.
- ContainersThe operator of every establishment producing garbage shall provide, and at all times cause to be utilized, approved leakproof containers provided with close-fitting covers for the storage of such materials until removed from the premises for disposal.
Violators will be ticketed. For more information, please feel free to call (708)343-4000 Ext. 123.